Friday, June 13, 2008

September 15 1942

Translation of a letter by W.N. tenHaaf, from the House of Detention in Groningendated September 15 1942 Cel #18

My dearly beloved wife and treasures of children, big and small! "Let God be praised with reverence deep: He daily comes our lives to steep in bounties freely given", I just had to sing that a moment ago when the gaurd came with the message that I could write to my darlings: not for a moment were you out of my thoughts after that terrible morning and questions whirled around (in my head) without answers, fortunately, and the most important thing is that there was peace from within through God's special grace,so that I could surrender the future into His hand in the knowledge that all things must work together for good, although it is very painful because sin always sticks to us even in the most holy moments, and spoils and destroys much in our lives that way. Little mother, I can still see you standing there, with our little one in your arms, will never forget the sight, and I know that you will take care of the family according to the best of your ability, while looking to God in prayer - but don't let earthly things get the upper hand, often gather the children around you, for now you alone Sientje, have to bring them - in accordance with the baptismal vows - to the fountain where living waterwells up unto eternal life. Who would have dared to think it: me still in jail, honestly, it's a mystery to me. I am still numbed by it, but will pray and beg that God will lead things and move hearts in such a way that we soon may be reunited in order to fully dedicate myself once again to my family, and hasn't God given us a precious family, a gift of grace so great and rich - i have never seen it as clearly as now. How I will care for you if it pleases the lord to restore me to you. How gratefull I am for the last three Sundays that I could be at home: we could talk insuch a wonderful way with the young ones about the problems of our times, let the boys hold on to the principles that I then outlined, then they will be protected against much evil, let them never be stirred up by agitators of any kind, now that I'm not there, they should go to Opa or Rev. Jansen for advice, although my dear wife would also be ables to give them sound advice: although the times are most serious, we must surrender all to Him: He will make it so that we will be astounded at the final outcome.

Well, Mom, give my greetings to all, father, mothers, Aaltje, De, Albert, v. Wering, your whole family, rev. Speelman, Overige, Kleefman, deJong, Kamminga: you know. let v.Wering ask if he may come and visit me here during visting hours to speak with me about the work that has to be continued, I'd love to see the faces of my big kids for a moment behind the wire, not you mother, that would be too painful. I would love to have my own little Bible here, with the birthdates of my loved ones written in it, with a comb and a money order for ten guildrs, to buy a few small things - make it out to 18-359 that is my address. Father and Mother, and all of you congratulations with your birthday. may the Almighty, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, give me and all of you many good years yet to live to His honour and our joy: comfort Siene and help her together with the children through this difficult time, and God will bless you in the effort. Well, my treasures, write back soon and let me know how things are, My dear S. and children, the Lord bless you and keep you.
Till we meet again. Your loving Willem

No comments: